Sunday, April 25, 2010

drinks with friends

Friday Lisa (my wife) and I went and had drinks with some friends. The odd thing about friends (for me anyway) is that there is always some sort of resposibilty attached to them.
I had a friend, Scott, for example that I thought for the longest time was going to be a life long friend. I envisioned him and I sitting in some Florida retirement community one day. Spending our days sitting on some balcony drinking coctails and bitching about how maintance never came by to fix the air conditioning and then at night we'd hit a nice restaurant and bar, eat some u-peel 'ems, some oysters on the half shell, drink some beers and enjoy watching the tourist drink their memories of their "real lives" away.
I don't know where Scott is now. We grew apart (as do most of my "life long" friends) at some point. I don't know what happened, but one day I woke up and was different- I'd changed and he hadn't. Now he's gone, I'm still here, and we'll probably never speak again.
I couldn't help but think about Scott (and all my other "life long" friends I've had) while sitting there enjoying hanging out with these new friends. I wondered how long it'd take for them to tire of me (or me of them), how longe before the phone calls wained, the cook out invites stopped coming, and then the next thing you know you're seeing each other at the local Kroger and not even recognizing each other (or at least avoiding the inevitable uncomfortable conversation by pretending not to recognize each other).
I hope that doesn't happen, but I've lived long enough and been through this enough to know that if it does there'll probably be new friends that come around and we'll swear over coctails one Friday night that we'll "life long" friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment